Hund utomhus

Do this if your dog gets an insect bite

During spring and summer, many of our insects come to life and it's common for our four-legged friends to enjoy chasing them as they fly around. Dogs being stung by wasps, bees or bumblebees is a common occurrence and something you should be extra vigilant about during the warmer months.

Sting from wasp and bee

As with humans, a sting from a bee or wasp hurts the dog, but it rarely makes the dog seriously ill. A sting can cause discomfort to the dog in the form of pain, itching or swelling. Some dogs may be allergic, but this is rare.

Allergic dogs

It is difficult to know if the dog is allergic to bites before they have been stung for the first time, so it is important to keep a close eye on the dog if it has been stung. If the dog becomes lethargic, has difficulty breathing, has difficulty walking, vomits, becomes severely swollen all over its body or loses consciousness, you should go straight to the vet.

In most cases, however, your dog will only express discomfort and some pain from a sting. They may start licking a lot where they have been stung and avoid leaning or supporting themselves in the direction of the bite.

Relieve discomfort

You can relieve the pain of by a cooling wet wrap and washing the area clean where they have been stung. If the sting remains, pull it out and keep the dog under observation to watch for symptoms that may indicate an allergic reaction.

If you are unsure how best to care for your dog that has been stung by an insect, call a FirstVet veterinarian for advice. As a Lassie insurance customer, you have free calls there.

More articles