Lassie
Hund utomhus

Mushrooms that are poisonous to dogs

In late summer and autumn, it can be nice to take your dog for a walk in the woods. But what's important to be aware of is that every year dogs suffer from mushroom poisoning. It is not only in the woods that mushrooms grow, poisonous mushrooms can also be found in the garden. Remember to always keep an eye on what your dog is putting in it! Here we will give you some examples of poisonous mushrooms found in Sweden and what to do if your dog has eaten a poisonous mushroom.
Symptoms of mushroom poisoning can be vomiting and/or diarrhoea, the symptoms often appear between 30 minutes to 3 hours after the dog has ingested the poisonous mushroom. If you suspect that your dog has eaten a poisonous mushroom, do not wait for symptoms but contact a vet immediately.
In order to get your dog the right care as quickly as possible, it is important to identify which fungus your dog has ingested. If possible, we therefore recommend that you take pictures of the fungus and the surrounding area where the fungus grows, and also take a mushroom of the species you suspect the dog has ingested.
Examples of mushrooms that are poisonous in Swedish forests are:
  • Red fly agaric
  • Brown fly agaric
  • Panther fly agaric
  • White fly agaric
  • Sneaky fly agaric
  • Spiky/orange brown poisonous spider
  • Stonefly
If you suspect or know that your dog has ingested poisonous fungus, it is important that you contact a vet immediately!

More articles