Spanish water dog, sitting on top of the bed with a grey suitcase and travel accessories.

Do this before you travel abroad with your dog

Before a trip abroad with your dog or cat, there are some things you need to keep an eye on. There may be some differences between countries and it is your duty as a pet owner to keep track of what applies and that your pet meets the requirements.

For travel with dog and cat within the EU, the following applies:

  • Your pet must be ID-marked

  • Your pet must have a valid vaccination against rabies

  • Dogs traveling to the United Kingdom, Ireland, Finland and Malta must be dewormed against the fox's dwarf tapeworm.

  • Your pet must have an EU passport for pets

Contact your veterinarian to get help with ID marking, vaccination and to get a passport. It is important to keep in mind when it comes to deworming against the fox's dwarf tapeworm that this must be certified by a veterinarian! Also find out what applies to vaccination and deworming for the specific country you are traveling to.

For travel with a dog or cat to a country outside the EU, the following applies:

  • You usually need to bring both a passport and an animal health certificate issued by a veterinarian. It is important that you check what applies to the specific country you are visiting.

  • To get information about what exactly applies to the country you are going to visit, you can turn to the veterinary authorities or the embassy in the country you are going to travel to get the right information.

  • If you are going to travel to Norway, no extra animal health certificate is required, which states that Sweden is free from various animal diseases. However, deworming against the fox's dwarf tapeworm is required.

Think about this:

When you travel to another country, whether it is by car, train or plane, you may pass other countries. Do not forget that your dog or cat must also meet the requirements that exist in the countries you may pass. When it's time to return home to Sweden from a country that is outside the EU, there are also Swedish requirements that your dog or cat must meet. These requirements may differ from the rules that existed at the time of departure and may be different depending on which third country you and your pet are traveling from.

To keep track of all these rules that apply to entry into Sweden, the Swedish Board of Agriculture has compiled a travel guide that will help you find out what is required. We also recommend that before departure you find out if the country you intend to go to has any known diseases that your dog or cat can be infected with during the stay. There are recommendations from some countries to protect your dog or cat against e.g. Leptospirosis, Leishmania, French heartworm and more.

As a pet owner, you are responsible for knowing the rules that apply when traveling abroad with a dog or cat. These rules can be quickly updated and changed, so get in the habit of always keeping up to date. Information about this is available on and the authorities for the country you are traveling to.

When you arrive in the country, you must not forget to report the dog or cat to the customs. This is also the animal owner's obligation!

Our app for Android and iOS

Level Up Your Pet Care Game: Get Our FREE App Now!

Packed with 300+ articles by certified vets and pet experts, our app it's your go-to resource for personalised advice on caring for your cat or dog. The more you learn, the happier and healthier your furry friend becomes and the more points you'll earn for exclusive discounts on Lassie products. Your pet's well-being is just a tap away! đŸ“ČđŸŸ
Google Play

More articles