Lassie
Katt utomhus

Rat and mouse poison toxic for cats

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for rat and mouse poison to taste good to both cats and dogs. Even a small dose of rat poison is very dangerous for cats to ingest, even if they catch mice or rats that have ingested the poison themselves. Cat poisoning due to rat poison often looks very serious and, depending on the poison the cat has ingested, the symptoms may either come a little later, or it may go away. Typically, rat and mouse poisons contain substances that prevent the blood from leeching, leading to the risk of internal bleeding in the abdomen, lungs and other organs, while newer pesticides that are effective against mice, such asfor example, also known as Alpha Chloralose, can have a direct effect on the nervous system and make our animals so sick that they unfortunately do not survive.
There are two categories of rat and mouse poison that cause different types of symptoms.
Warfarins - are an older type of rat poison that is still used. It works by causing increased bleeding in rodents and produces the same symptoms in cats. If you suspect that your cat has come into contact with the poison, you must go straight to the vet for an examination.
Symptoms may include increased bleeding, can sometimes be seen as blood in vomit, diarrhoea or bleeding in the skin or mucous membrane, fatigue.The poisoning leads to internal bleeding as blood coagulation is inhibited. If treatment is initiated in time, antidote is available, but it must be given for several weeks after exposure. The poisoned cat is treated symptomatically and supportively, depending on the degree of poisoning. The cat may require several days of inpatient care and some may even require blood transfusion. Symptoms of warfarin poisoning often appear a day or so after the cat has ingested the poison.
Alpha-chloralose - is a newer type of mouse poison that acts very quickly if ingested by the cat. It affects the nervous system of our cats and if ingested in large quantities, the cat can go into a coma. If the cat ingests alphachloralose, neurological symptoms may occur, such as convulsions, the cat may become unconscious, go into a coma and in some cases die. There is no antidote, the cat is treated supportively by the vet, often in an intensive care unit. A cat that has been poisoned by alphachlorosis can, in some cases, be saved, but decisive for the prognosis is the amount of ingestion and how quickly the cat receives treatment. If exposure is suspected, it is important that you go to the vet urgently with your cat.
If you have mice and rat poison in your home, it is important that it is kept in locked cupboards or in areas that the cat cannot access. However, it can unfortunately be difficult to prevent your cat from ingesting rat and mouse poison, especially if they roam freely outdoors. If you suspect that your cat has been poisoned, go to the vet urgently.

More articles