Lassie

Dogs and barbecue

Now in the summer we often get together for barbecues and picnics. Of course, it's nice to bring your dog along, but beware of barbecue debris, which can be dangerous for your dog. Never give your dog leftovers from the barbecue to avoid the dangers that can come with it.
  • Corn on the cob
A cob of corn sticks like a cork in your dog's gut. If your dog ingests a piece of corn on the cob, the vet may need to operate to save a vicious dog.
  • Bone scraps
Bone debris can become lodged in the palate and esophagus if your dog doesn't chew it properly. Bones from poultry, pork, beef, lamb and fish can shatter on their way to the stomach, causing serious damage to your dog. Bone debris can also get stuck in the intestines and cause blockages.
  • Sharp objects
Wooden barbecue skewers are very dangerous for our dogs. The skewer can taste very good of meat but can puncture the stomach and intestines if the dog swallows it. Also watch out for disposable barbecues which can be very sharp on the dog's paws.

Swallow something inappropriate

If you suspect that your dog has ingested something inappropriate, you should contact a vet immediately. The dog may show symptoms such as vomiting, drinking and eating poorly, difficulty relieving himself and abdominal tenderness. It is better to call the vet than to wait.

Remember

Always clean up after barbecuing outdoors. Leftover picnic food and barbecue scraps can be spotted by a passing dog nose. Always keep an extra eye on your dog when walking near or visiting barbecue areas/parks.

More articles