If your dog is overweight
If your dog is overweight, it is obviously important that it gets the help it needs to get down to a healthy weight. It's a good idea to consult a vet to help you decide what is a sustainable and appropriate weight loss for your dog. Below are some tips and tricks you can use to help your dog reach a healthy weight:
- Make a plan for the amount of food to be fed, often help is available from the food manufacturer. However, bear in mind that some individuals may need more or less food than what is stated on the packaging.
- Use a dog food specifically designed for weight loss
- Do not give your dog anything in addition to the food. No chewing bones, treats from the table or anything else
- Reward the dog with food instead of treats. Or choose a low-energy dog treat. You can also try making the dog work for meals by using an activation toy, for example.
- Exercise your dog according to his needs and abilities
- Monitor the dog's weight to ensure that weight loss is controlled
Being overweight is a clear risk factor for many common diseases and it can also affect the dog's quality of life. Most dogs become overweight because they expend less energy than they consume. Getting a dog to lose weight is about doing the opposite, getting the dog to expend more energy than they consume.