Lassie
Hund i fönstret, jul

How dangerous is chocolate for my dog?

Did you know that even small amounts of chocolate can make dogs very sick? That's simply because dogs can't break down the theobromine found in chocolate, which can lead to poisoning. How serious it can be depends on a number of things, such as the amount of cocoa, how much the dog eats, how old it is and what it weighs. In fact, as little as 30g of dark chocolate can be fatal for a five-kilo dog. So it's best to keep the chocolate bar at a safe distance for a doggie who can't keep his paws off it.
If the dog does ingest chocolate, it's best to call a vet straight away for advice, even if the dog seems alert. As a Lassie customer, you always have free calls to FirstVet. Should the dog become symptomatic, it is usually noticed within 2-6 hours, but anything between 1 hour and 24 hours is possible.

Common symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs are:

  • Vomiting
  • Shaking
  • Lots of saliva
  • Heart palpitations
  • Diarrhoea
  • Seizures
  • Abdominal pain (may be manifested, for example, by the dog not wanting to eat)
The vet will then usually help the dog to vomit, and it is important that this is done quickly before the body starts to absorb the harmful theobromine. Should the dog start vomiting at home, a vet should still check on the dog, as anti-seizure medication or anti-poisoning drops may be needed.
Contact a vet if you suspect your dog has ingested chocolate. As an insurance customer, our app gives you free calls to online vet FirstVet.

More articles