Lassie
Julblomma

Christmas flowers and poisoning

Christmas flowers may not seem quite as appetising to sink your teeth into, but that doesn't stop a curious dog from investigating what exciting things their master or mistress has brought home this time. If you have a doggie who tends to chew on most things, you'd do well to keep a little extra watch over which plants go out for Christmas, as some of our most common Christmas flowers can make your dog sick. If you have cut flowers, even the water they're in can be poisonous. These Christmas flowers can cause poisoning in dogs:
  • Poinsettia
  • Lilies (but most toxic to cats)
  • Amaryllis
  • Hyacinth, especially the onion
  • Christmas rose
  • Mistletoe
  • Tazett
  • Timeless
  • Tulip, especially onion
  • Daffodils
Depending on how much the dog has eaten and which plant it is, it can cause a number of different complications - quite common is vomiting and/or diarrhoea but it can also result in kidney problems, breathing difficulties and in the worst case the dog's life can't be saved. So if you think your dog has chewed on a Christmas flower, contact your vet immediately.

More articles